Paul Koning wrote:

"Joseph" == Joseph S Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Joseph> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Michael Cieslinski wrote:
>> I also could convert parts of the ggcinternals manual into wiki
>> pages.  But only if there is a consensus about this being the way
>> to go.

Joseph> I'm sure it's the wrong way to go.  I find a properly
Joseph> formatted and indexed book far more convenient for learning
Joseph> about substantial areas of compiler internals, or for finding
Joseph> what some particular macro is specified to do, than a wiki.

I'll second that.  Unlike some other major GNU projects, GCC's
internals manual is substantial and very good.  Yes, it needs ongoing
improvement, but I'd prefer that rather than flipping to Twiki.

In order to show how good the internals documents are, try to
build a very simple front end using ONLY the documentation.
Make it of the order of a hardwired "int main() { return 0}".
Or better yet, find an outsider who knows C, but not GCC
internals, to write it.

No outside source can be used (i.e. no source code not included
in the documentation).

It cannot be done. Not even close. Not even if you allow tree.def.

Too much stuff exists outside of the documentation.