> From: Robert Dewar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Paul Schlie wrote:
>
>> I don't contest that it may, I simply don't believe it should.
>
> you can't seriously mean that with respect to uninitialized
> variables. this would mean you could not put local variables in
> registers. the effect on code quality woul be awful!

Why would anyone care about the performance of an access to an
un-initialized variable?  Rather than attempting to insure their
diagnosis, and hopeful subsequent removal the specified code?

Personally, see no value in producing faster garbage; although do
see substantial value in producing compiled code which is strictly
consistent with the specified program and native target behavior,
regardless of its portability.