> Maybe one solution would be to patch pex-win32 for mingw so that it
> could understand '#!' style shell scripts?  That would at least
> allow bootstrapping.

That would be wonderful, and that's exactly the right place to put it
too.  I'm assuming I can persuade one of you to do that?  ;-)

I'm going to define pex-win32.c as being within the realm of the mingw
maintainership (if you hadn't assumed that already).

> It wouldn't be useful generic pure-windows installation,

It would still be *available* though, so you could (for example) wrap
your assembler in a shell script for debugging purposes, and gcc could
still run it.

Plus binutils uses it (windres, dlltool), so same minor benefit there.