Mark Cuss wrote:

> I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only person who struggles with the "Oh,
> that app was built on RH 8 so it won't run on RH 7.3" problems, so I'm
> trying to find a solution where I can configure my build system in such a
> way that I can distribute a set of libraries with my applications to that it
> will run on any distro - at least all of the Red Hats, Fedora Cores, and
> RHELs anyways.

Perhaps you can just ship a bunch of object files and do the
final linking only as a part of your installation process. Of course,
since the C++ ABI changed with GCC 3.x, you might want to bundle
the C++ libraries, but leave out everything else. It would also
mean that end-users have to have binutils, and perhaps make, installed
on their machines as a pre-requisite.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew      Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.    Web: http://ranjitmathew.hostingzero.com/