Jim> I see that Nathan posted a patch last December to try to remove some
Jim> CHAR_TYPE support.
Jim>      http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-12/msg00689.html

Yeah, that must be what I remember.

Jim> A possible way to solve this problem is to add a single-bit flag to
Jim> INTEGER_TYPE nodes that indicates whether this is actually a character
Jim> type.

For my purposes, it doesn't matter exactly what approach we take, as
long as we just pick one and document it.  I think the affected code
in gcjx is just a single line.  If/when the CHAR_TYPE removal resumes,
handling debug info properly ought to be a new requirement on the
solution.

Tom