Maybe everyone else manages to get good code without something like
TER.

That's because we lack other things that people have, like a sane instruction selection and expression reordering pass: other compilers probably have something akin to TER as part of instruction selection. Like many other parts of GCC (right Steven? ;-) TER is not evil by itself -- it is as part of IR lowering.

I think Zdenek's patch is fine, because *everything* in TER is a hack.

Zdenek, maybe you could you try and see if enabling pre-regalloc
scheduling would also make this particular problem you're seeing go
away, just as an experiment...

Couldn't it also make it much worse?

Paolo