On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:51:42AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I'm not sure how I can "fix MinGW"; see above.  Also, if a MinGW
> > application wants to invoke some other Windows program, the behavior
> > should be the same as if I compiled that application with Visual C, or
> > Intel's C compiler, or whatever; if we were using magic to pass
> > command-line arguments, we'd be breaking things.
>
> No, the way DJGPP and Cygwin do it are twofold:
>
> First, there's a *visible* support for @file, which would appear to
> act just like your patch supports (but with subtle differences).
> Non-DJGPP applications can use this to pass long command lines to
> DJGPP applications.  Same for Cygwin.
>
> Second, both DJGPP and Cygwin have *hidden* methods for passing even
> longer command lines, more accurately, between DJGPP (or between
> Cygwin) applications.  I don't expect you to use this.
>
> My suggestion is to take the patch you are proposing, and add it
> instead to MinGW's crt0 code.  That way, *ALL* applications built with
> MinGW would support @file on the command line, not just gcc.

In this case, I would propose adding it to _both_
libiberty/gcc/binutils, and mingw32, as separate improvements.  This
stuff is handy!  Not just for Windows users, but in plenty of other
circumstances too.  I'm of the opinion that the toolchain should
support it as a general convention, on any platform.

(That said I don't love the @filename syntax; but it could be worse,
and it seems fairly well-known...)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz