Since August 21st, when I sent my last status report, we've reduce the number of bugs targeted at 4.1 from 271 to 250; about a bug a day. 77 of these bugs are wrong-code, ice-on-valid-code, or rejects-valid, down from 91. So, that suggests that the net progress is mostly coming from fixing the critical bugs, which is good. 24 open bugs are of the most-nasty wrong-code category.

So, my tentative conclusion is that the number of really nasty bugs isn't very bad, but that there's a lot of overall bugginess streaming in, probably just due to the large volume of changes.

I still think we need to drive the numbers lower before we branch. I know everyone's eager to start on 4.2, but I bet we can fix a lot of these bugs with relatively small amounts of effort, if we focus on those problems.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC