Andrew Haley wrote:
Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 > Jonathan Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > My question is simple enough - has anyone built a
 > > toolchain for a MIPS64-Linux-GNU target?
> > Yes, I did, last year. > > But I did it through a tedious iterative process--build the binutils,
 > build the compiler until it fails building libgcc, install parts of
 > it, build glibc enough to install the header files (with the kernel
 > header files there too), build the rest of the compiler, build the
 > rest of glibc.  Various things broke along the way and needed
 > patching.  I think it took me about a week, interspersed with other
 > things.
> > It's an interesting exercise for people who want to really learn how
 > all these tools work together.  If your main interest is in actually
 > getting something done, it's bound to be rather frustrating.
> > Sorry I can't be more helpful, except to say that it is indeed
 > possible.

I wonder if Angela et al.'s magic script that automates all this stuff
is still around somewhere.  Maybe it'll still work, or maybe someone
has an up-to-date copy.

Dan Kegel's crosstool does it for many different platform/tool version combinations (or so I have herd). I think the problem is that it (and other solutions like it) have ad hoc hacks/patches for each combination to make it work and perhaps that mips64-linux-gnu is not well supported.

I did similar with mipsel-linux-gnu using headers lifted (and hacked) from glibc on i686-pc-linux-gnu as a starting point.

There is a definite chicken-and-egg problem here. But once you have a working toolchain you never suffer from the problem again. The result is that there is no motivation to solve it once you know enough to fix it.

David Daney