Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> How does the fact that gcc does not currently conform to C99 imply
> that gcc doesn't use (A), (B), or (C)?

It doesn't, the implication is the other way around.  But if you're
asking for "observable non-conformance" then there are lot more obvious
ways to observe it than by showing that GCC doesn't use (A), (B) or (C).

> In any case, the general goal is to conform to C99, so it still makes
> sense to discuss this.

Maybe, but there's no implementation of (A) or (C) in GCC that would
make requiring (B) a burden.  So I think Paul Eggert's question has
been answered.

                                                Ross Ridge