On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

Hi,

   We're assessing many proposals to add "forwarding constructors" and
forwarding functions to C++0x; and I got a question.

   In standard C++, constructors cannot be recursive functions.  I'm
wondering whether the multiple entry-points implementation strategy used
by GCC depends in anyway on the absence of recursive definition.

I think people have raised this before but some targets will never
support multiple entry points.

Things like:

_extern_function:
mr r0, r3
mr r3, r4
mr r4, r0
_extern_function_1:

blr

is not really supported on powerpc-darwin.

You might want to look into how gfortran implements multiple entry-points
but IIRC the ENTRY construct in Fortran is now declared as obsolete and
really should not be used so I don't understand why C++ is trying to
add this.

-- Pinski