On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:35:38PM -0400, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> We already have this included in -Wall via -Wcomment.

No, we don't.  Consider

--------------------------
// this is a continued comment \
// but who cares, because this is a comment too
int i = 1;
--------------------------

% gcc -Wall -c foo.C
foo.C:1:1: warning: multi-line comment

Under the description I provided, there would be no warning, because
the continued comment does not change which text is commented out.
The "line art" people aren't going to find this acceptable.

Perhaps the thing to do is to fix -Wcomment to eliminate the noise,
so it will be more useful; then we don't need a new -W option.

So the amended suggestion is to fix -Wcomment to shut up about continued
comments that don't matter, and also to add the new -f option to switch
the handling of spaces-at-the-end.