The issue of gcc implicitely generating floating point
instructions (i.e., without 'double' or 'float' types
being used in the source code) has come up a few times
in the past (e.g., 2002/10: GCC floating point usage)

Miraculously, I found that gcc-4.0.2 (unlike 3.2 or 3.4)
no longer generates a lfd/stfd pair for something like this:

unsigned long long *px, *py;

 *px = *py;

However, I was unable to find any documentation or recent
discussion about the issue.
Has this kind of optimization (using the FPU for
data objects other than double/float) been deliberately
abandoned or is it the side-effect of other changes?

Thanks
-- Till

PS: Please CC me - I'm not on this list