> Or did I miss the point entirely?

Right now, having the GMP/MPFR libraries (later refered as GMP) in
/home/gmp and typing:

configure --with-gmp=/home/gmp --enable-languages=c,fortran

does configure fine but running "make" then fails when it attempts to
build libgfortran. This is PR 21547, see the audit trail for more
details. The general opinion is that it is normal to have to set your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run the installed compiler, but using --with-gmp
should be enough to build it in any case. This is what the toplevel
part of my patch does. Moreover, I think that running the testsuite
shouldn't require setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH either, which is what the
gcc/ part of the patch is about.

FX