Joe Buck wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 01:43:38PM -0500, Michael N. Moran wrote:

Excuse me. IANALL nor am I a compiler expert but ...
what kind of optimization might be done with the information
that a reference *should* never be null? Especially within
the server code (the implementation of "int f(int& a)" in this case.)

There are several examples.  One is converting from a derived class
to a base class when there is multiple inheritance.  An offset must
be subtracted, unless it is a null pointer.

Another is the "delete" operator.  It must first check that the
argument is null; it only calls the underlying memory allocator if it is
not.

It's also surprising to me that the delete operator can
be used on a reference when the new operator returns a pointer
and the only way to get that (possibly null) pointer to be
used as a reference is to dereference it and then apply
delete on the pointer formed by the address-of operator on
the resulting reference....

void buzz(Abc& b)
{
    delete &b;
}

void baz()
{
    Abc& a = * new Abc();
    buzz(a);
}

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
 and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1