Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Running make check in fixincludes on x86_64-gnu-linux I get the
following failure:

Just grepping for "_STRING_INCLUDED" it is easy to see the input rule in inclhack.def that defines this transformation, and the output rule in fixincl.x that actually does the transformation.

This seems to be a generic problem. Anything using the "replace = <shell input>" type rule is ending up with a missing newline on the last line. Looking at gcc-3.3.4, I see that the trailing newline is there in the fixincl.x file, but it isn't there in mainline. Offhand, I don't know what changed here. It could be that autogen changed, it could be that something in fixincluded changed, or it could even be that someone checked in the result of a broken autogen.

If this is due to an autogen change, then perhaps the simplest fix is to change write_replacement in fixincl.c to emit the missing trailing newline after the fputs.

I think the next step is to try to figure out if an autogen change broke this, or if a fixincludes change broke this. I'd suggest opening a PR to track this unless you want to volunteer to do this work.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com