Hi,

I'm using gcc-4.0.1 on both a UltraSparc3 and UltraSparc3cu systems.  When
I compile code on the UltraSparc3 system using -mcpu=ultrasparc3 and run
the file command on the executable I get

hello:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not
stripped

so the UltraSparc3 extensions are not used.  However, when compiling on
the UltraSparc3cu system I get

hello:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, UltraSPARC3 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not
stripped

where the UltraSparc3 extensions are used.

Does anybody have any idea why this might happen?  Is this expected
behaviour for the UltraSparc3 as opposed to the UltraSparc3cu?

Thanks

Jason