Daniel Berlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Thanks for woking on this. Any specific reason why using the LLVM
>> bytecode wasn't taken into account?
>
> It was.
> A large number of alternatives were explored, including CIL, the JVM,
> LLVM, etc.
>
>> It is proven to be stable, high-level enough to
>> perform any kind of needed optimization,
>
> This is not true, unfortunately.
> That's why it is called "low level virtual machine".
> It doesn't have things we'd like to do high level optimizations on,
> like dynamic_cast removal, etc.

Anyway, *slightly* extending an existing VM which already exists, is
production-ready, is GPL compatible, is supported by a full toolchain
(including interpreters, disassemblers, jitters, loaders, optimizers...) looks
like a much better deal. Also, I'm sure Chris would be willing to provide us
with all the needed help.

I also think CIL would have egregiously worked. I'm sure the reasons to refuse
it are more political than tecnical, so it's useless to go into further details
I presume.

Giovanni Bajo