On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 11:40 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> A nightmare scenario is debugging the compiler when its behaviour
> changes due to using "-S".  Assembly source is something that we
> maintainers use more than anyone else.

If we go the direct generation route, I think it would be more
efficient (if possible) to add whatever extra information is needed in
the object file (like the asm template string, compiler comments, ...)
so that object code dumper will get it back to you on request. So skip
the -S altogether, always use the object dumper to "look at assembly".

Of course you then depend on the full target object toolchain, if it
is a proprietary one and we can't feed extra information through its
object dumper, my scheme won't work.

Laurent