ON THE CALL: Shin-ming Liu (HP), Vladimir Makarov (Red Hat), Diego
Novillo (Red Hat), Mark Smith (Gelato), Bob Kidd (UIUC), Mark Davis
(Intel)

A fair amount of time was spent discussing the pros and cons of LLVM
vs. LTO. Keep in mind that the next Gelato conference is coming up in
April 06. If you would like to speak in the GCC track, please contact
Mark Smith. Comments from each participant on the call can be found
below.

NEXT MEETING: January 12th, 2006. Details will be emailed out prior to
the call.

Bob Kidd:
---------
The ia64-improvements branch is up. I haven't had time to do much with
it, but I've checked it out and bootstrapped. I applied Steven
Bosscher's revised superblock patch, bootstrapped and tested it. I'm
looking at updating the branch to either 4.2 or CVS head and will
check in the superblock patch.

Shin-ming Liu:
--------------
 * HP has posted the GCC 4.0.2 source and binary package on HP site
   for HP-UX in November
 * HP is working toward the similar posting for Linux in the near
   future
 * HP is actively participating in the LTO activity in GCC community
 * HP has started the alternative backend effort based on Open64 with
   several universities

Vladimir Makarov:
-----------------
I asked Bob to tell more details about superblock scheduling he made.
Because the current version does not take predication into account, I
told that to get better results it is good to combine predication and
superblock forming in future. Also superblock scheduling could work
without profile information as it does currently according to Bob's
review. Gcc has decent evaluation of branch probabilities. It would be
reasonable to try how superblock scheduling will work with the branch
probabilities evaluation.

As for work status of ISP RAS team, they work on infrastructure for
another insn scheduling. It is a big project. They sent patch for
improvement of aliasing analysis for ia64. Diego Novillo and Daniel
Berlin are reviewing the patch. They'll send patch for speculation
support for review soon. It is control and data speculation support
with recovering code. Now it is necessary only for ia64 but it will be
useful for future Intel x86 and x86_64 processors which as I heard
will have  speculation support too.

As for LLVM, I told it is a very interesting research project. In any
case it will help to gcc finally and itself. We will see will it be
finally adopted in gcc. At least, it have more chances for that than
OpenRC with its WHIRL because transition of copyrights to FSF of LLVM
is more probable than one of OpenRC from SGI. But adoption of LLVM
should not  stop other project therefore LTO is a right thing to do.
The competition is good and there will be more chance to have
intermodule optimizations finally.

Additionally to the obstacles to adopt LLVM mentioned by Diego, I
named usage of C++ (although it has advantages too) and patents. LLVM
should be checked for usage of compiler patents. Gcc people avoided
many patents especially from Microsoft. We can not be sure right now
about LLVM.

Diego Novillo:
--------------
I talked about the new developments in GCC for doing link-time
optimizations.  We discussed both the LTO proposal and LLVM. Although
it's not clear at the moment which proposal will end up being adopted,
we all agreed this is an excellent sign that GCC will start evolving
in that direction.

I also talked about the new ia64-improvements branch and Dmitry's
alias patch. The ia64-improvements branch is ready for people to use.
I have started reviewing Dmitry's patch and will try to send feedback
in the next few days.

Mark Smith:
I will continue to work with Intel to secure a Montecito SDV to use
for GCC builds. Itanium Solutions Alliance has funded Bob Kidd's GCC
superblock work.

I also talked about the upcoming Gelato conference in April 2006. We
want to have a strong GCC track at the meeting. Please consider
attending. Shin-ming and I will work together on designing the track.
If you would like to speak, please contact one of us.