On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:39:06PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 16:01 -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > > I wonder how many more examples like that we need before we impose
> > > testing after install and not in tree...
> > >
> > > Only consequence for the few who configure with --prefix=/usr from their
> > > tree will be to change to --prefix=/some/user/dir so install doesn't
> > > break the system if the tested compiler is not up to the task.
> >
> > We can do this without touching --prefix, in fact, via DESTDIR and
> > relocatable installs.
>
> I assume DESTDIR will suffer a lot of recurrent breakage if we still
> test in tree when it goes in.
>
> > It's just a bit disruptive to the workflow, so I
> > wanted to wait until toplevel bootstrap was settled first.
>
> Yes, another impact of testing after install is that
> many small dev scripts will have to be changed to
> make check after make install and not before.

No, you've missed my point.

DESTDIR support (which we already have, and people use constantly)
allows us to install a tree somewhere different than its configured
--prefix.  Relocatable toolchains (ditto) allow the toolchain to work
when run from an address different than the configured --prefix.

"make check", or even "make all", can finish with "make install
DESTDIR=$top_objdir/install".  That will generate an installed
toolchain which behaves just like the final installed toolchain.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery