On 2006-01-16, at 15:24, Richard Kenner wrote:

    The point of --disable-bootstrap is to disable bootstrapping.

Why would somebody ever want to *disable* it? If you don't want to
bootstrap, you just don't *do* it!

The most important of these is libgcc and the crt startup files, which currently do live in the gcc directory, and folks have wanted to move
    out of it for five or ten years.  We can't skip them during a
    bootstrap; it just won't work.

Why is it so important to move them out?  It would seem to me that the
bootstrap issue is a good reason *not* to!

There are very good reasons why libgcc and the crt
stuff should be separated from the compiler:

Those are not really parts of the compiler but libraries. They depend up on the target system. Thus untangling them from the compiler itself if the first step toward a distant dream: It should be possible to use the same compiler to produce executables for different target OS-es hosted on the same architecture.

Please just take a cursory short look at how libgcc is depending even on such simple things like the struct signal from the target OS or the threading library to see why it would be indeed a good idea to confine those dependencies in to something
separated from a full compiler build.