Richard Kenner wrote:

   Then it seems to me that you are just relying on a peculiarity of the
   Ada build system, that is the fact that you can work entirely from
   within the GCC directory.

That's by design, of course.
Though it makes me wonder why people did not replicate the design for C++, Fortran (even old g77) and Java?

   What you need to do then, is to run from the toplevel "make
   stage3-bubble; make -C gcc gnatlib_and_tools".

Does the latter differ from "cd gcc; make gnatlib_and_tools"?
More like "(cd gcc; make gnatlib_and_tools)", i.e. the current directory is the same.

Paolo