On 2006-01-16, at 20:35, DJ Delorie wrote:

No it isn't. The results should still be the same.

You aren't considering call ABI or PIC issues.  Natives might have
different call-saved registers, or global fixed register (like the TLS
pointers), that affect optimization in different ways than an embedded
(no tls, different pic, different ABI) compile would.

I think we operate with different definitions of what a cross compiler versus native
compiler is. For me a cross compiler is a compiler generating code
for a particular target OS/architecture combination not hosted on the
particular system itself. Thus I don't see any ABI or PIC or TLS issues
which should be any different here. Oh yes the configure mechanism will
introduce dependencies on the host properties... but those should be
fought in a proper cross compilation environment. (This is BTW. for me
one of the paramount reasons why I don't have great respect for the
concepts behind configure and friends...)