Who?  Most people I've read the messages of, believed that
    disable-bootstrap would have been deleted tout court, without providing
    a way of building a non-self-built GCC.

There are too many negations in that sentence for me to understand exactly
what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that there are a lot of people
(whether it's a majority or not doesn't matter) who strongly (e.g, MRS's
"over my dead body") object to removing the facility of being able to build
the same amount of files as now in a "bootstrap" and only enabling a
bootstrap that does more work.

Please remember that many of the older targets don't have very fast machines
available.  We already have situations were builds that people would like to
do daily are taking dangerously close to 24 hours *right now*.

    Anyway, let's suspend this discussion for a while until I've applied the
    patches that bring more similarity to the old system, e.g. PR 25670.

OK.