Hi!
This is gcc.gnu.org question not gcc itself, but I found this list as most appropriate to ask.

It seems to be a good practice, when composing a message, to refer other ones using URL like http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-02/msg00295.html. Thus I wonder if there is a shorter way to match e-mail in my inbox with the URL than clicking and searching web pages basing on date, subject etc.

For example cgi-bin/mesg.cgi script of mhonarc mail-to-html converter, the one used by gcc.gnu.org, can "extract a message from an archive based upon message-id" so having interface to this script would be useful. Further the mail client may be taught to get this URL automatically.

Any comment?
- Grigory