Hello,

I have the interesting and somewhat taunting task of providing a toolchain that assumes -msoft-float unless told otherwise. Obviously, this can be arranged with appropriate changes to the specs, however I'd like to integrate this in a way that would benefit everybody.

The general idea would be to have a common header file defining specs fragments for FP handling for the "arch does not have any FP at all" and the "arch has optional FP" cases, which can be included by the arch-specific headers (those archs with differing FP implementations, i.e. those that not only differentiate between "hard" and "soft" will still need special handling in their respective subdirs). For that to work, there should be a sane way to specify soft FP, either in the host triplet (but I haven't found a non-ugly way to do this; for example arm920t-linux-gcc could very well compile code for the arm926 core, although its name would probably suggest otherwise), or as a configure option (which would mean that there can be compilers with different defaults for the same host triplet), so I would be interested in opinions on how a user could indicate the request for soft fp as default. That is phase 1.

Phase 3 is profit.

   Simon