On Feb 23, 2006, at 9:05 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
it seems to be slow at preprocessing C++ source.
This matters quite a bit when running distcc.

One way to mitigate this would be to use a precompiled header, and use -fpch-preprocess with distcc and ship the .gch across instead. This saves the far side from having to read lots of source code, saves the server from having to write out lots of source code, saves having to move it across the network, saves having to open/stat or do anything with a large fraction of the headers.

We do this out of the box on darwin. Scaling still isn't what we'd like though.

Is there an option to do that?

Nope. You're not building on an nfs mount are you? If so, the first order of business it to not do that.