> I started again (deleted the generated files) and configured with "sh
> ../gcc-4.1.0/configure --prefix=/home/gcc41 --enable-threads=win32
> --with-ld=/mingw/bin/ld --with-win32-nlsapi=unicode" and fired "make
> bootstrap". I think this time make made more than the last time, but ejected
> an error again

I don't know for sure but, if I remember correctly my many
unsuccessful attempts at building on mingw32, using --prefix=/mingw
makes these go away.

I'd like to stress that there is not much testing of gcc trunk under
i386-mingw32 with MSYS. The configury and build system is widely
"broken" for that platform.

FX