> > * Maybe it would be possible to perform further development on a vendor
> >   branch in the GCC svn repository?  I'm not sure if this would require SC
> >   buy-in, though.  Perhaps the changes might become acceptible for FSF GCC
> >   at some point in time; there have been discussions over at
> >   opensolaris.org about opening the sources to the Sun compilers.
>
> Personally I'd like to arrange it as a gcc branch or contribute it
> in some way, but my previous effort of much smaller scale (gcc2c) had
> quite negative reception, so I don't expect any sort of approval.

Honestly, i doubt you would ever get it.  At a bare minimum, i'd expect
nobody would even consider it until the sources to Sun's compilers were
GPL'd or put under a GPL compatible license[1].

> Also I'd like to emphasize that "GCC for SPARC Systems" is trying to deliver
> performance on SPARC cpus to those users who use plain GCC compiler there.

Right. and instead of taking the route that other companies like IBM,
and recently, Intel and HP, have taken, which is to work *with* the GCC
community, and improve GCC, Sun apparently has decided to just work
around it.

It is one thing to say that short term, you need to do something else
(like hook up GCC to ORC or something) because GCC won't improve fast
enough.  But as far as i can tell Sun has absolutely no long term goal
to actually attempt to improve GCC so they don't need to do these kinds
of things.

[1] For the curious, what they are doing is simply taking our IR, and
converting it to their IR, and writing it to a file, and then passing
the file off to something else.  Much like Open64 did.