On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 16:25 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mike> Has anyone ever tried to build a scripting interface into the guts of
> Mike> GCC with something like SWIG ?
>
> I've heard of a couple efforts along these lines -- once with Scheme
> and once with Python.  I don't know if either used SWIG.  Neither one
> was submitted to GCC.  Both were obscure enough that, even now, I
> can't really be sure they ever existed :-)

I will admit i SWIG'd gcc, once, and generated python wrappers, but this
was before tree-ssa, so it wasn't all that useful.

There is some appeal to being able to prototype passes, etc, in python.
It's a ton of work to get the bindings going though.

Maybe SWIG is much better than it was, in which case, cool!