Christopher Faylor wrote:

> And, if it can't open CONOUT$ in cygwin's xterm, that's a bug...

Great!

But that's also irrelevant to the broader issue as to whether or not we
try to get this right in libiberty.  The issue isn't Cygwin; the issue
is whether or not we operate correctly when gcc is running without a
console and needs to invoke the assembler/linker.  I love Cygwin, and if
this is a Cygwin bug, I'm thrilled it will be fixed, but that's not the
core issue.

We can declare that every program that doesn't create invisible console
windows to run console programs is broken, but such programs exist, and
their users don't want to be told they're broken.  Instead, they want
GCC to behave correctly in this environment; in fact, our users have
specifically reported this problem with 4.1 to us.

Criticizing the code I posted because it doesn't handle command-line
arguments, etc., is accurate -- but that code is just a test case.  The
version of libiberty shipped in our 3.4 products does handle quoting
command-line arguments to hand them to CreateProcess, etc.

We (CodeSourcery) don't particularly care if this code is in mainline
libiberty; it's not a lot of code, and completely contained to
pex-win32.c.  We're just trying to do the right thing by contributing
it.  It's of course up to the FSF libiberty maintainers (after we get a
patch posted, of course) to determine whether or not they want to accept
the patch.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery