Le vendredi 07 avril 2006 à 02:54 -0500, Aaron W. LaFramboise a écrit :
> I have also recently become interested in a GCC port for the 18F.
>
> Can someone summarize who--if anyone--is working on this, how much
> progress he has made so far (Is his work based on mainline?), and any
> expected future milestones?
I am studying the gcc internal guide for the moment. I am very busy for
the moment, and I won't write much code before July.

> (And who are all of the people in the CC list?  Is there some other list
> discussing this?)

I am on gcc dicussing list.

> I think that the major work that will need to be done for this port is
> figuring out how to get segmentation to work.  Some other potential
> ports need this too, so if there's any way to do this in a way that all
> ports can benefit, that would be great.  I think this is definitely
> possible, but it seems like it may take some effort--particularly to get
> the changes into a form acceptable for inclusion into FSF GCC.

I think so. Microchip have done a modified version of GCC-3.3 with
DSPICs support, so we have got a heavy good base to work on the
instruction set, wich is similar for PIC18. DSPIC is a 16 bit CPU, so is
memory isn't segmented.

> The way I would do this (and will, perhaps, if noone else intends to
> work on this any time soon) is to consider the access bank (low 128 GPRs
> and some of the high 128 SPRs) as the GCC registers.  (I am not sure if
> ~140 registers is too many for GCC to handle effectively; Are there
> ports that use this many?)  This will yield a port that can deal with at
> least 512 bytes of memory, I think.  Implementing segmentation will give
> it access to the rest of the banks.

For the instant, I don't know how to implement any kind of way in gcc.

Salutations,

Francois Poulain