> I'm trying to build gcc 3.4.4 on a sparc machine running Solaris 9.  My
> build setup was:
> ../gcc-3.4.4/configure --diabled-shared --prefix=<install
> dir> --enable-languages=c,c++
> make bootstrap

I see 4 potential problems:
- do not use a relative path to configure,
- "--diabled-shared" is probably not what you intended,
- is the "make" in "make bootstrap" a recent version of GNU make?
- does your kernel support 64-bit?  If not, you need to configure with
--disable-multilib.

> I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction
> on this one...  Do I need a patch for gcc 3.4.4 to build on sparc?

Nope, but please read the instructions carefully:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-x-solaris2

--
Eric Botcazou