[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I decided to look into the Yara branch to see if it could even be bootstrap on PPC (with Yara turned on by default).

Thanks, for the information. It is even a surprise for me that some tests work correctly for ppc. Last time when I had time and checked ppc status (a month ago), yara was completely broken on ppc. Therefore I wrote that yara will not work on ppc for now.

My major focus platform is x86 right now and the first priority task is to speed Yara up because it is really slow (right now compiler is 3-4% slower with YARA on SPECINT2000). If I approach the speed of the current gcc compiler (my goal is 1-1.5% compiler time degradation when yara is used), I can say that the project will have a chance to be successful. Although I can say YARA now is much more faster than the new register allocator (-fnew-ra) in previous versions of gcc.

As for x86, it is a good platform to work on most register allocator tasks. One big problem is still waiting for a solution. It is a dealing with constraint on the displacement size (x86 has no such problem). Another smaller problem is a good allocation when many hard-registers used in RTL (e.g. for x86_64).

My feeling is that YARA is a long project. Just removing reload is a big task by itself. So please don't expect soon that it will be working for other platforms except x86. Many things should be done also to get a decent code for other platforms (rematerialization, register pressure relief, better register preferrencing, different tunning). Also a big problem is a generation of full debugging information (pseudo in yara can live in different locations - memory, different registers which is quite different from the current allocator). This problem is also waiting for a solution.

Vlad