On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 02:47:54PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> On the regression front, we have 61 open serious (P3 or higher)
> regressions that are specific to 4.2.  I have not triaged these, so
> there is a good chance than more than a few relate to Ada, Java,
> Fortran, or non-primary, non-secondary platforms.  I think that,
> therefore, the regressions which are common to 4.1 and 4.2 are as
> serious an issue as the regressions which are specific to 4.2, at this
> point.
>
> On the functionality front, how up to date is:
>
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC%204.2%20Projects
>
> ?  Are some of the submitted projects actually checked in?  Are some of
> them no longer likely to be completed for 4.2?  Please update the Wiki
> page accordingly, if your project is incorrectly represented.
>
> I'm aware of the following major projects for 4.2 that are somewhat in
> limbo:
>
> 1) sign-extension elimination
>
> Roger's approved this in principle, but it sounds like the patch doesn't
> quite apply, and/or there are issues on IA32?  What is the current

Just a simple modification is needed to apply.

> status here?  This is a nice optimization, and it would be nice to have
> in 4.2; how can we move this forward?

The current sign-extension elimination implementation doesn't provide
any benefit for x86-64. We are investigating a different, simple
approach for x86-64 on the same SEE infrastructure. For this reason,
we'd like to see it in 4.2. As for x86, I don't think it will be
very useful.

BTW, If anyone is interested in working on SEE for x86-64, please drop
me a line.

H.J.