Greetings,
I am working on my Master's Degree, and have started an independent
study this summer.  Two of my goals for this study are to
1 - Provide something useful for GCC
2 - Learn more about the innards of GCC so that I can be of benefit
towards the community

I figured what better way to get credit and accomplish a personal goal.
While I have barely begun my study, my advisor and I have elected to
continue with my previous independent study revolving around evolutionary programming. While at first this might seem a bit of a benefit for GCC optimizations, further thought contradicts that notion. I still would like to provide help on GCC optimizations, and was
wondering if there is anyone willing to allow me on their team so that I
can accomplish my goals.  I am also wondering if evolutionary/genetic
algorithms do seem of benefit to one particular optimization construct,
that I might have over looked or not considered.  While the project page
does list some interesting projects, I am putting this out in hopes of
finding others that might provide a stable direction for me.
I do realize that there is a project out there now that uses evolutionary concepts to optimize GCC with the current available command line options. While I think that is a great project, I would like to develop, or tweak, some type of internal aspect of GCC.

Thanks!

-Matt