On 06/06/2006, at 5:25 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:

On 06/06/2006, at 5:20 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:

Right above, you said "We control the debug output machinery
generating this, and can simply tell it to only deal in one
language." Here, you seem to be implying that the messages should be
localised in the language the compiler is going to output messages
in.  I suppose you could output both, but that still bloats object
files more than just using numbers.

Just output in English and let the IDE or the other tools translate
it.

What's the difference between that and just outputting a number and
letting the IDE or other tool translate it?  Either way, you're going
to need a fixed set of strings or numbers to translate.

Say I want to add a new one, I have to go through a committee with the
number system while with a string I don't.

I don't see how making it a string makes this different. Either your new string will be a standard string or it won't. Either your new number will be a standard number or it won't. If you want it to be standard, you have to go through the committee.