On 14/06/2006, at 5:15 AM, Mike Stump wrote:
None of this is a problem on MacOS X Intel. The cross-compilers build without problems on an Intel Mac.

Well, apparently one solution is to fatten your system.

My attempts to do that just resulted in a system that would not boot :-(
Fortunately, I tried it on a spare disk.

The other might be to try:

            x86-*-darwin*,*-*-darwin*)

instead, and then use --with-sysroot=/.

I have done something like that already. Basically breaking the configure test and adding --with-sysroot= to the CONFIGFLAGS definition in build-gcc. This allowed the powerpc-i686 build to go through.

[ this list is for people that want to roll up their sleeves and fix their own problem. If you want us to fix it for you, just file a PR. :-) ]

I am trying. Currently the cross-hosted compiler build still breaks, which seems to be an issue with the SDK.

The link breaks like this:
/usr/bin/ld: warning fat file: /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib does not contain an architecture that matches the specified -arch flag: i386 (file ignored)
/usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _strncmp
../libiberty/libiberty.a(strncmp.o) definition of _strncmp in section (__TEXT,__text) /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(strncmp.So) definition of _strncmp
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_fegetround referenced from libSystem expected to be defined in /usr/ lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [makedepend] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-libcpp] Error 2
+ exit 1

This would seem to be because libSystem.B.dylib references the system's libmathCommon.

billn% otool -L /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/ libSystem.B.dylib
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib:
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.1.3) /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 210.0.0)

This cannot be changed with install_name_tool because libSystem.B.dylib is a stub library.

Any suggestions? Does the -isysroot compiler flag fix this sort of issue? It does not seem to be used in the gcc build.

Bill