On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:31:55AM -0400, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> >>The point of going backwards (a feature quite familiar to me from
> >>the use of hardware debuggers on PC's in bygone years) is to figure
> >>out what went wrong, and for that purpose you only need to worry
> >>about the machine/memory state.
> >
> >Not when you're debugging userspace and you have files.
>
> I just don't see that at all, if you can back up to previous
> memory states, where the entire machine state is reproduced
> that's good enough.

Well, of course.  But we're talking about different concepts. You're
talking about something that involves total I/O replay, which requires
exclusive control of a piece of physical hardware.  GDB will, and some
other debuggers already do, support doing this entirely unprivileged,
at a process level on Unix-like systems.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery