On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Can you please proceed to step 2: ensure that the gettext-0.14.6 tools
> are used for building gcc-4.1.2 and newer?

To be clear, gettext tools are used in two ways in building new releases:

* xgettext is run to update gcc.pot and cpplib.pot.

* GCC is built with --enable-generated-files-in-srcdir, which uses msgfmt
to create .gmo files and copy them into the source directory for
packaging.

Do you need new gettext versions to be used for both of these steps, or
just one?  Could you submit to gcc-patches appropriate refinements to the
configure tests in config/po.m4 to enforce the use of sufficiently new
gettext where required?

(GCC maintainers don't run msgmerge; we download merged .po files from the
TP website.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]