On 29 June 2006 15:12, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> "Dave Korn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> But it's really legal to cast away const?
>
> All that matters is the effective type of the accessed object, see 6.5#7.
>
> Andreas.

  Ah yes, now I remember... we had a long thread on this sometime last year,
didn't we, and decided that the compiler was in the right to ignore the
qualifiers on the pointer if it also knew that the pointer had been
initialised to point to an object for which it could see the declaration and
therefore know the real underlying type.  Thanks for the pointer.

    cheers,
      DaveK