In http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-07/msg00362.html, you wrote:
Are there any ideas on how and where to add a target and language
independent code compaction pass into gcc?

I think first you should be more specific about what you are trying to do.
DO you only want to match essentially identical functions?  I suppose that
shouldn't be that hard to do, you can compare the gimple trees after / instead
of
inlining, while keeping a translation table for variable names.
But would that be worth while?  Have you studied any code base to determin how
much of a code size saving you could expect?