Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 4:59 AM
>
> Andrew Pinski wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> >
> >> We currently search both the relocated compilers prefix and the
> >> originally configured prefix. Should a relocated compiler be
> >> searching both directories?
> >
> > Yes because someone might have just relocated the compiler
> but not the
> > rest of the tools.  The main use of this is that untar a common
> > sysroot and use different
> > versions of the compiler which normally would be installed
> under that
> > common location.
>
> There are benefits and costs in either direction.
>
> 1. If we search both locations (i.e., for a relocated
> compiler, search the configured-time prefix and the
> installation-time prefix), we get the following set of problems:
>
> (a) If the configure-time prefix exists (for unrelated
> reasons) the compiler finds files in the configure-time
> prefix, even though neither the system administrator or user
> expects that.

1(a) is reported quite reguarly on mingw32 user lists.  I think I hit it
myself when I first started comparing different versions of the
compiler.

This is a typical scenario on windows

Configure-time prefix set to /mingw by binary release manager
User installs in C:\mingw
A new release is made available. Configure-time prefix is again /mingw,
since the release manger just reused the old build script.
User chooses to install in, say, C:\gcc-3.4.5-2\mingw, to keep thing
from getting confused.
The new compiler, run from C:,  looks in /mingw first and gets it wrong.

Confused user reports a  bug.

So my response to  "Should a relocated compiler be  searching both
directories on mingw32?", would be

No, preferably only the relative-prefix.  The --enable-win32-registry
option, combined with an install-time  regedit script,  could still be
used to force a common, absolute 'sysroot'.

Danny