David Nicol wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Petr Machata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to make the university to GPL the code and documentation, and
>> give up their copyright, so that it could be used without restriction,
>> but won't know the outcome until later this year.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but my understanding from researching university
> claims to copyright of student work is that a university policy of
> holding a copyright on work you have done in a class that you paid to
> be in is entirely specious.
>
> If you are being compensated for your work and receiving research
> grants or something like that it's different, but if you are doing
> work for a class that you are paying to be in, that work is yours
> under the Berne convention, and it is yours to license how you
> please. As a paying student, you hire your university to coach you.

Well, that makes sense, and I'm glad to hear that.  It's just that the
person that was answering my email was unsure, and told me that at the
beginning of the semester the things would get sorted out.  I was
looking into Czech Copyright Act just now, and it seems to me that
university indeed can't prevent me from disposing with the work, unless
I sign something stupid.  Let's see, I believe it'll come right.

> http://www.google.com/search?q=copyright+on+student+work
> shows many links to various policy documents, most of which refer to
> international copyright law, which should apply to FIT BUT as well as
> they apply in Canada or Minnesota.

Thanks,
PM