Mike Stump wrote:
Wrong list, you should use gcc-help for help.

On Sep 27, 2006, at 6:03 AM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
I'm trying to get around the "Some people have crappy NFS
architectures so we're going to make GCC so braindead it
can't even find its own libraries" problem.

Can anyone tell me where the spec files in 4.1.1 are?

The command you quoted tells you in what directory you can place the file, the name of the file is "specs", and the contents can be found with gcc -dumpspecs.

Feel free to update the FAQ (if it's in wiki)...

Just in case someone else happens across this madness.

FWIW, not only is the specs file not put into the GCC install
area per the FAQ, but the command quoted in the FAQ and
referenced above does *not* in fact tell the proper location
of the specs file to create.

    "This file can be found in the same directory that
     contains cc1 (run gcc -print-prog-name=cc1 to find it)."

Finding the location of cc1 indicates libexec/blah/blah.
Putting the specs file there does nothing.

Tracing GCC, I found that it was looking for it in
lib/blah/blah.  Putting the specs file there works.

Instead of all of this hackery, I recommend people just
do what I did in the end -- stop allowing the build to
make shared libraries at all (a la 2.9x, which worked
fine thanks!).

--disable-shared