On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, [ISO-8859-1] François-Xavier Coudert wrote:

> First, please note that having gfortran testresults for one platform
> only means that "some version of the compiler was able to correctly
> compile GMP & MPFR",

True.

> not that "GCC trunk is able to correctly compile GMP & MPFR".

I'm not sure I agree with your criteria.  We don't need the trunk to
compile GMP/MPFR, we're now talking about *not* including them in the
source tree.  All we need is that some compiler (even non-gcc) is able to
compile these libraries so the user can install it somewhere once and
reuse them every time they build GCC.

One potential problem from relying on these postings is that the poster
was using an older version of GMP/MPFR and the current releases no longer
work on their platform.  But given the extensive platform claims on the
MPFR website, I find that unlikely that they have less portability now.

We won't know for sure until we try, but I think knowing that GMP/MPFR
worked at some point in the past increases the likeligood of success.

> Nevertheless:
> [...]

Thanks very much for this additional confirmation!  That certainly helps
increase my confidence.  If anyone else has additional info they can
contribute I'd very much appreciate it.

                Thanks,
                --Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]