Joseph S. Myers wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, Mark Mitchell wrote:

We have a number of C++ PRs open around problems with code like this:

  struct S {
    void f();
    virtual void g();
  };

  typedef __attribute__((...)) struct S T;

I was happy with the state before r115086 (i.e. with it being documented that such attributes on typedefs are ignored). But given that we are now attempting to honour them, the proposed semantics seem reasonable.

Yes, I would be happy to explicitly ignore semantic attributes in typedefs as well, with a warning (or even an error). However, I had not realized that we ever did that; I'm surprised that the change that instituted this is so recent. I suppose that explains why we're suddenly seeing a rash of such problems. Jason, as you made this change, do you have any comments on the proposal?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery