As Gerald noticed, there are now fewer than 100 serious regressions open against mainline, which means that we've met the criteria for creating the 4.2 release branch. (We still have 17 P1s, so we've certainly got some work left to do before creating a 4.2 release, and I hope people will continue to work on them so that we can get 4.2 out the door in relatively short order.)

The SC has reviewed the primary/secondary platform list, and approved it unchanged, with the exception of adding S/390 GNU/Linux as a secondary platform. I will reflect that in the GCC 4.3 criteria.html page when I create it.

In order to allow people to organize themselves for Stage 1, I'll create the branch, and open mainline as Stage 1, at some point on Friday, October 20th. Between now and then, I would like to see folks negotiate amongst themselves to get a reasonable order for incorporating patches.

See:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-09/msg00454.html

I've also reviewed the projects listed here:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC_4.3_Release_Planning

The variadic templates project is in limbo, I'm afraid. The SC doesn't seem to have a clear opinion on even the general C++ policy discussed on the lists, which means that Jason, Nathan, and I have to talk about variadic templates and work out what to do.

IMA for C++ is another difficult case. This is unambiguously useful, though duplicative of what we're trying to build with LTO. That's not a bad thing, since LTO is clearly at least one more release cycle away, and IMA might be ready sooner. On the other hand, if the IMA changes were disruptive to the C++ front end in general, then that might be a problem. I guess we just have to evaluate the patch, when it's ready.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery