Mark Shinwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ian Ollmann wrote:
> > stronger type checking seems like a good idea to me in general.
>
> I agree, but I don't really want to break lots of code all at once,
> even if that code is being slightly more slack than it perhaps ought
> to be :-)
>
> Given that no-one has really objected to stronger type-checking here
> _per se_, then I see two ways forward:
>
> 1. Treat this as a regression: fix it and cause errors upon bad
> conversions, but risk breaking code.
>
> 2. Emit a warning in cases of converting "vector signed int" to
> "vector unsigned int", etc., and state that the behaviour will change
> to an error in a later version.
>
> Thoughts?

I would vote for: break the code, but provide an option to restore the
old behaviour, and mention the option in the error message.

Note that these sorts of conversions affect C++ overloaded functions,
so in some cases people will not see the new error--they will see that
some function call can not be made.  My guess is that this is
sufficiently unusual that we can get away with breaking it without a
useful error message.

Ian